Monday, August 8, 2016

Star Trek Silhouettes---in VEGAS!!!!

MY VERY FIRST SILHOUETTE GIG!!!!! 
was at the official 2016 Star Trek convention held at the Rio in Las Vegas!!!
Every day for five days in a row, my fingers kept busy doing a four-hour morning or afternoon shift, cutting live silhouettes for the enjoyment of Trekkie convention-goers. Other artists nearby included my friend Celestia Ward, doing digital caricatures, Roger the Balloon Wizard, a lady face painter, henna artists...all sorts of neat stuff---themed to the science fiction show we all love. 
I designed a background for my silhouettes which incorporated various elements from  Star Trek: The Original Series, which was celebrating its 50th anniversary. They could choose from Command Gold, Science Blue, or Certain-Death-Red. ;-)
Folks were adding them to their binders along with their precious actor autographs and photo ops:
Here you can see me cutting out this fearsome Gorn!!!
(By the way, I crafted my own skirt out of Star Trek Tiki fabric designed by my friend Lar de Souza, which you can buy at that link.  He's an amazing artist who should have been there too---lots of artists seem to be major Trekkies. TOS was definitely my favorite show when I was a kid/young teen.)

Look at all the variety here!!!



My scissors got a workout. I was using small Martha Stewart ones, after this event I decided to splurge on some bigger, German surgical steel ones which I use now.
So what else went on there, you ask?
Let me show you!!
Cosplay on a grand scale:

I don't know how Heisenberg got in there...

When I wasn't working, I was having FUN!
Saw Captain Kirk!!
I got to meet the OTHER John Byrne ;-)
Saw lots of TNG folk...and UHURA!!!!!
This is Roger and his wonderful balloon Enterprise!!
This is Celestia with her incredibly-in-demand digital caricatures:
Many thanks to her for sharing my skills with the convention organizers, which led to them booking me and my silhouettes. :-)

 Mr Spock says we were FASCINATING!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment