Tuesday, December 3, 2013

A look at my competition wall at the 2013 ISCA convention

For the third year in a row, I decided to do a theme wall at the #ISCA convention, held two weeks ago in St. Pete's Beach, Florida:
The convention itself is a crazy week-long, 24/7 extravaganza of caricature art and caricature artists. During the day, we participate in educational seminars and timed contests. In the evening, we all settle into one big ballroom (in this case, a huge tent) and draw each other, with the goal of creating a gallery of work created onsite, which we'll then vote on in various categories.
So, unless you're a caricature artist, you won't know any of the people depicted here in my STAR TREK parody…but believe me when I say, these things practically cast themselves. Who but Lar De Souza could be a Klingon? Or who but Lorin Bernsen as Spock? Actually, Lorin was my inspiration for the whole thing. As a friend, fellow TOS Trekkie and especially since he was our hard-working, outgoing President of ISCA, I wanted to do something close to his heart….thank you Lorin!!
Here are some of my subjects whom I managed to snag for a photo after the awards dinner. 
Captain Kirk is Chris Galvin, our new ISCA President. 
Beam me up, Scotty, for another year of anticipating our NEXT convention!

No comments:

Post a Comment