Thursday, March 22, 2012

English country-manor caricature!

My recent travel-time was mostly spent in Thailand, (and there are still more caricature-related photos from that to share) but the Other Half and I also managed to tack on a whirlwind four days in England, (somewhere I've always wanted to visit) before returning home. We crammed in Windsor Castle, Stonehenge, Salisbury Cathedral, The London Eye, Westminster Abbey, Buckingham Palace and Abbey Road, along the way eating some surprisingly good English fare. One place we particularly loved was a B&B where we stayed for two nights, Rollestone Manor in Shrewton, near Stonehenge.  It's a 950-year-old manor house with a little church behind it where Jane Seymour was christened. The proprietors were a lovely couple (and their daughter) who welcomed us with warmth, comfort and fantastic breakfasts:
I wanted to thank them for their nothing-is-too-much hospitality, so I made sure to take a photo of the family before leaving. Upon returning to my studio, the above little marker-and-pencil drawing resulted. It's ended up on their FB page and hopefully on a wall of the Manor somewhere!
How did I know they were caricature fans? I'd spotted this in their office:
Here's a photo of the house and grounds and one of us in the foyer:
And here we are just up the road!

1 comment:

  1. So glad you enjoyed England! We take the history for granted too much. I quite fancy that holiday myself.

    ReplyDelete