Monday, February 18, 2013

Caricaturists in Chiang Mai's Sunday walking street

Well, there were one or two doing caricatures in a long row of portrait artists...

A walking street in Thailand is just what the name implies; a normally busy street is closed to traffic and vendors are set up along both sides. However, in this case, the artists were in the middle...and the crowd was SO thick even I would have been nervous of being bumped by passersby...
I don't know why Mr. Bean and Obama seem to be the perennial favorites for caricature samples in Thailand...below is a closer look:
Here are most of the artists in action:


 Since almost all the artists were busy doing portraits, I guess it's because that's what sells more.


 Above: This artist certainly caught her expression...
Below: This guy was doing a watercolor caricature from someone's phone:
This is a peek into one art supply box....those Mars Lumograph pencils are popular. I bought a handful for myself and they are nice, capable of a big range of tone.
Below: This sample depicted the subject as a ladyboy! I wish I'd get calls for that here...Thailand is much more comfortable with having a "third sex"than other parts of the world...
If I am interpreting the sign correctly, a live sketch is 200 baht (about $6) and from a photo 300 baht (about $9). Below: This is the view when we entered the walking street, you can see how packed
 with humanity the center is...
I like more elbow room when I draw live!!

No comments:

Post a Comment