Tuesday, January 6, 2009

2009 awaits

For the past few years, I have reserved early January for my fiance. Being a career caricaturist (and he's always on call in his field too) means oftentimes postponing special times together, so we usually go somewhere together this time of year. In 2009 we've happened to land in both Tulsa, Oklahoma, and Mobile, Alabama for a few days. I certainly didn't know that Mardi Gras parades originated in Mobile long before they became the big thing in New Orleans. We enjoyed a "family-oriented" parade (which Mobile is also known for) last night.

What does this have to do with caricature? Well, when I get home, it's nose to the drawing board. I have been commissioned to illustrate a children's book! Although it isn't caricature per se, it came through someone who saw me drawing live...so you never know what karma can bring your way. I've been doing some preliminary sketches while on my trip, but can't share til the author says so.

I also have some plans to renovate my website, update my self-caricature, and do some more creative marketing this year. We all know the American economy is changing hugely, and I plan on going with the flow to the best of my ability. One thing that can be said about caricature, is that its value lasts for longer than the person looks the way they look when it's drawn!

3 comments:

  1. Happy New Year Emily - I hope you both had a great break !

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great photo of the two of you! Love John's hat!
    Enjoy your deserved time! Sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete