Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Acrylic work-in-progress...

I haven't brushed with anything other than digital paint in a very. very long while. Why am I breaking out the old acrylics (some of which have dried up completely) and attempting the biggest canvas I have done since high school?
It's because my new grandson needs something large and colorful to hang next to his crib!!

He has a monkey-themed nursery, so I am going to just develop the composition as it comes. My first idea was a jungle scene with monkey caricatures of everyone in our family...but we'll see if that pans out. Other animals will definitely make an appearance. I decided to share each session's progress here on the blog-- I did the underpainting (below) the other day, and this (above) is as far as I got this afternoon in a couple of hours. The canvas is 24 x 36.
It will be very interesting to see if what I have learned from digital painting carries over to the real-life equivalent!

2 comments:

  1. Acrylics!! fair play to you Emily, looks great so far can't wait to see it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh...that's very interesting...it's nice to paint in acrylic. Hm....makes me want to do it as well...:)
    wait for the finished project :)

    ReplyDelete