Sunday, August 26, 2007

Me by Marlo Meekins

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
This is an example of masterful caricature on several levels.
My friend Marlo Meekins (blog listed on right) created this with a handful of markers--Copics, Prismacolors, Chartpaks, and a wonderful nameless Japanese brush point with hair-fine thickness. Her color choices and combinations give this vicious, pimpled likeness an odd beauty. She nailed my likeness in spite of the fact that I don't have a particularly easy face to "get". Many caricaturists I know (myself included) have conceded that. She also went for the jugular-- the humor in this piece is that I am not that awkward and ugly, but if I was, that's how I would look. However, that sensibilty in caricature--the insulting likeness--is generally not what clients want, and artists tread a fine line in determining how much is too much. It's an interesting debate that's been addressed by many caricaturists...artistic freedom vs. commercial viability. It helps to have friends with a caricaturist-mindset-lifestyle to draw! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment