Thursday, December 18, 2008

Holiday party... and tales of caricature commuting.

I have a doozy of a caricature-commuting story about my event this evening. It just may have been the worst time spent driving to a gig in all my years of doing this....

It started with me walking out my door two hours before my scheduled start time, for an evening corporate holiday party held in a lovely restaurant about an hour away from me. Shockingly, my trusty little car wouldn't start, and it didn't seem to be a battery problem. I called my mechanic to let him know I'd need him tomorrow, then I called my daughter to see if I could borrow her car. She wasn't anywhere nearby, so.....

That left Plan B. My fiance is away at the moment, but his little Ford truck was sitting in my driveway. I'd never driven it, because I loooove my Honda. However, his truck and its STANDARD TRANSMISSION were the only wheels available. Now, I have not driven a stick-shift for twenty-five years, (since back before motherhood-- when I had a 1978 Camaro) and felt totally apprehensive about getting back in the saddle right then, but I had no choice. I got in, started it up and headed out...and noticed it was very low on gas. And it was getting dark (could not see where stuff was on the dashboard, so could not use my GPS). And I hadn't had dinner, and now there was no time to do anything about that. Then I ran into a slow-moving traffic jam. Uggggggggggggggggggggh!

Even with all that, I arrived only fifteen minutes after I was supposed to be there, and the client told me I could start whenever I was ready, bless her. Once I started drawing, I forgot all about it and enjoyed the faces and the wonderful harp music flowing from the fingers of the elegant harpist seated next to me! What a fun bunch of people.

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
Here are some of the drawings. The client asked me to stay longer since it was going over so well. Thank you! The overtime will certainly help with getting my car fixed! :-)
And despite its eccentricities, I am glad my fiance's truck was available, and that I was able (for the most part, anyway!) to still drive a stick.
These two little video clips were taken as dinner was served, when I had a short break:


Madeline, the harpist, is available for events and her email is Madharps@verizon.net

Update 12-19-08: My merchanic has already fixed my car, the culprit was a short in the ignition wires. Hooray!

Update 12-22-08: I just received a very nice note from my client. It's so gratifying to know that my work makes people happy, and all the small irritations in life are worth it! :-)
Hi Emily,
You were a huge hit – people talked about it all day Friday and brought their caricatures into work!
Thanks again and we’ll definitely keep you in mind for future events – we’re moving our employee appreciation day to May this year so I’ll be in touch!

No comments:

Post a Comment