Sunday, July 8, 2012

Caricature Stampede

I'm out of my usual stomping grounds, drawing western hats galore at the Calgary Stampede---along with colleague and Calgary native Kelly Gannon. :-)
Calgary is a beautiful city, and everyone is so friendly and nice. My Other Half had said I'd enjoy just BEATHING here and he was so right! And the skies are amazing:
Sunset is after 10 pm!! I have never been this far north before, and have also gotten an eyeful of some very dramatic skies:
 This ominous looking storm passed us by, but we did get to see its resulting rainbow. You don't see one of those every day!!
 Later that same evening, this was the sunset---WOW:
Things are done a little differently here in the caricature world. Everyone uses small French carry-easels with no legs, necessitating a table. Bags seem to be optional, some artists use them, and some give out rubber bands to roll up the drawings. And some events call for 11 x 14, and some use 8.5 x 11, which I am slowly getting used to... here's a few of those:




I can't believe I fit their hats in this one!!
This was another event, where I could draw bigger:
These four Brits were delightful to draw and chat with--now that I've finally visited England, I don't have to say it's on my wish list anymore! :-)
This lady got a photo with her caricature AND the caricaturist!

Ok, bear with me here...Google says I've used up my allotment of photo space, so I have to go back to Photobucket. Let me know by commenting if you like the bigger  size photos, even though they infringe on the sidebar stuff. I can't seem to figure out just WHY they are so BIG! ;-P

Photobucket
Photobucket
And you usually don't see giant framed prints of this lady at home! She gazed over my caricaturing and was NOT amused...
Photobucket
The next event was an early-morning pre-parade breakfast with lots of kids, so only a few pics:
Photobucket
Photobucket
This is what passes for tables here, LOL:
Photobucket
From an afternoon BBQ:
Photobucket
Photobucket
These two were BFFs..the lady's husband wasn't about to get a caricature, so their friend did the honors!
Photobucket
A father (and daughter) who'd visited PA and had fond memories of Good N Plenty Restaurant. Small world!
Photobucket
Great face for caricature, I'd told him! Tunde is his wife's name, she couldn't be there.
Photobucket
And THIS is Canadian-style BBQ---mmm!
Another early-morning event was for an airline, so I got to draw some pilot hats:
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
By the next post, I'll have my own cowboy hat, eh??

No comments:

Post a Comment