Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Visiting the Quirky Art Cafe in Edmonton

During my stay in Alberta, I'd hoped we'd have time to visit my caricaturist friend Cathy McMillan at her cozy coffee-shop/studio in Edmonton...and we did!
Kelly Gannon, Cathy, and I

The quaint little storefront was originally just Cathy's studio where she worked on her paintings, commissions and taught workshops, but she wanted it to be more than that. And she accomplished it! She went through all the non-left-brained technical, legal stuff and fun creative stuff required to make her dream a reality. Now she  provides a welcoming atmosphere for her regulars or anyone who walks in, whether it's for a latte or a burst of creativity!
Below: some of her caricatures.
Another of Cathy's specialties is creating altered books. As a former scrap-booker, I was very intrigued:

Super-inspiring! I have loads of homeless sentimental ephemera in boxes, so as soon as I can buy some used books, this will become my reality! Cathy even shared some cool techniques with me.
Thanks for having me Cathy, and to Kelly for driving me the furthest north I have ever been! (Edmonton is the northernmost city in North America with a population of over one million.)

No comments:

Post a Comment