Saturday, August 30, 2008

My night-blooming flower waits til I'm not caricaturing to blossom...again

I have a potted plant that's very dear to my heart. It's called a Night-Blooming Cereus, and every year in late summer, it flowers for just one night. The buds get large very quickly, and usually I can pinpoint approximately when the time will come. This year, the four buds seemed likely to coincide with my first caricature gig that required a two-night hotel stay!! ( see previous post). Here is how the buds looked when I left:
Photobucket
When I arrived home yesterday afternoon, to my delight, I saw that they had waited for me! ( This happened last year as well, amidst my old hectic baseball caricaturing schedule.)
Photobucket
This is a view of the entire plant; (in white pot) it's very sprawling and even somewhat ugly. The buds come out of the sides of older leaves towards the bottom.
Photobucket
The flowers and fragrance are worth a year's care and wait!
Photobucket Photobucket
Since I had four, after they were all open by midnight, I plucked two to bring inside and enjoy the scent til morning...
Photobucket
Too bad this video clip can't include Smell-o-vision...

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful!

    You just brought me back over twenty years, Em! My mom had one of these flowers when we lived in Wayne ( yes, the one in Radnor ).

    I remember half the reason I was excited was because I got to stay up late, but it was still a memorable experience.

    By the way, I love your caricatures! You make people happy.

    Cheers!

    - trevor.

    ReplyDelete